Didnt someone once say "Its a funny old game..."?
At last, the wait is almost over. After one of the dullest summer breaks I can remember for a long time, the season is about to kick-off. Chelsea have added to the title buying side of last season and so that race is over already, yet there is still room for the rest of us to have our moment of misplaced optimism - until around 4.45pm this Saturday that is...
During the pre-season, there have been plenty of rumours and speculation. Who knows whats true? And who cares?
For your benefit, I have been scouring the various headlines and news stories that have been published and came up with the list below. These caught my eye for one reason or another.
You can thank me later."Spurs sell Michael Carrick for £18.6 million"
- There IS a God!"West Ham wont recieve a penny from the Carrick transfer due to no sell-on clause in his contract"
- bad news for the West Ham fans expecting a a bumper windfall."Manchester United's new £18.6m signing Michael Carrick is set to miss the start of the Premiership season after injuring his left foot against Ajax"
- No comment..."Crespo going nowhere unless the price is right"
- Chelsea FC, one week before he joined Inter Milan on a free transfer..."Former England boss Bobby Robson taken ill whilst watching Ipswich"
- There are so many puchlines for this one that I feel its only fair to allow you to come up with your own..."The Northern Ireland international will be out of action for another 10 weeks because of a knee injury but he passed a medical on Monday evening"
- West Hams new signing George McCartney."Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has warned Peter Crouch against complacency."
- ... and low bridges no doubt."Thierry Henry is making a last-ditch bid to try and persuade Ashley Cole to stay at Arsenal."
- Strange that, as two months ago even Henry couldn't make his own mind up.
"Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has urged Steve McClaren to play both Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville in Wednesday's game against Greece."
- Whats this? Alex Ferguson WANTS his players to play for England? He'll be claiming Louis Saha is the answer to his striking problems next..."Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has tipped striker Louis Saha to step out of ex-Old Trafford star Ruud van Nistelrooy's shadow and help the club to success this season. "
- Told ya...
Personally, I cant wait until the transfer window shuts on August 31st - but I will miss the daft comments.
The Full Archive
Share your thoughts with us on this:
Give us your wisdom - post a comment